Sunday, December 7, 2008

Big Daddy's All American Burger 102


http://bigdaddysnyc.com/

Big Daddy's offers burgers, shakes and tots. Tater Tots. If You Have To Ask is how it's listed on the menu. And it was the tater tots that trumped my burger-eating experience. Yes, the burger was good; it filled the hole just fine. But the tater tots, the tater tots are what worked their Big Daddy magic on me. The tater tots are fried lightly each barrel-shaped piece covered in its own thin-crust shell. They come in a mound of twenty to thirty pieces a bowl (and if you so choose, which I did) drenched under a orange blanket of gooey cheese topped with a chunky splash of veggie chili. Every soft-crunching bite a tumbling muck of spuds, chili and cheese. Pure joy! Damn them tots yummy. So that said, let's move on to the All American Burger 102, listed as a classic half-pounder, with cheese, lettuce & tomato. I order mine medium rare. The first two bites are pure beef, a little too chewy for my taste, but the bite mark in the burger sweating pink keeps me coming back for more. The hamburger bun is brown and plain the cracked-dome glistening with a buttery sheen. The bun's bedding is thick absorbing nicely the meat's juices never once sagging or becoming soggy. It's not a leaky burger and I like leaky burgers, especially one's that leak onto the plate a spittle pool of blood, so that's a mark against the burger, and what in the end will keep this burger from being a great burger. The sliced tomatoes are fresh, the lettuce crunchy and the thick melted slab of cheddar cheese strikes with a sharp punch every now and then the palate. While eating, I plate the burger once or twice to revisit the dwindling mound of cheese tots. And toward meal's end, I come to the realization that I've neglected my French fries, which matters not, since I've been swooned by the tater tots. I shovel the last of the fries down and belch furtively into my fist while eyeing the milkshake box in the menu. I'm about to pop, I'm so full. So the Barbie Blast Fruit Shake, a vanilla shake with bananas & strawberries, will have to wait for another time. I take a deep breath and tap my belly. It's been a hell of a meal. And I have to say, I'm rather satisfied. Good job, Big Daddy, walloping my gut with a burger that delivered and tater tots that astounded! 

I give Big Daddy's hamburger a 3.5 out 5. 

Until next time, happy burger eating to all.  

-Hamburger Eater E

No comments: